Sunday, January 31, 2010

Cherry Bomb - The Runaways Rock Hollywood

So, it seems that one of my ALL time favorite bands is getting a little hollywood glitz thrown on them - The Runaways, one of the first all-female rock bands, have a movie about them, perfectly titled "The Runaways".

I watched the fifty second trailer, which shows twilight belle du jour Kristen Stewart kicking ass as guitarist Joan Jett, and Dakota Fanning skanking it up as lead singer Cherie Currie - and from the little that I saw, I liked it.
Although, I did read that the movie has Joan Jett singing lead on Cherry Bomb, which kind of pisses me off because movie-goers will now think the original Cherry Bomb was sung by Joan Jett - but I suppose that's how Hollywood does history.

Jett fully stands behind the film, and does agree that there are some embellishments, but maintains that the core story is really there.  She stated in an interview with website Hitflix that the film accurately portrayed the resentment that was felt by men towards female rockers:
"Men object to women playing rock and roll because it’s threatening to see women in so overtly sexual a position - 'Pop music sort of presents itself as, ‘Here I am and you can do what you want with me.’ Rock and roll says, ‘this is what I’m gonna do with you'"


Right on to that! The Runaways definitely told the world what they were going to do with it, and their talent and avant garde gave a well deserved middle finger.

The film opens March 19th, but in the meantime, here are two awesome Runaways songs:

The Runaways Queens of Noise

the runaways - cherry bomb

And the original Runaways preforming Cherry Bomb in Japan
(they were sixteen years old!!  jonas brothers can only dream of being this badass)



And the ladies show their soft side in my favorite (mega-cheezy, but ax-tastic) song - Heartbeat:

No comments: